Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Big Day

Everyone is fed and in bed, finally resting after an intense day both emotionally and physically. They are a little sunburned, a little stinky, and riding an incredible high from conquering the seemingly insurmountable goal they had set for themselves. They were fortunate enough to have wonderful conditions today. The sun was shining and the wind had died down. The water was cold but the waves were calm. The current was strong but less so than yesterday. They woke this morning before the sun without (much) complaining, gathered their gear, and walked to the docks. I didn't hear from them again for an agonizing 13 hours. I sat in the lobby of the hotel for hours, supported by the parents who were able to be here as well. We checked the tracker constantly, waiting for the periodic signs of progress. As the markers got closer and closer to shore, our anticipation grew. Our own nerves set in. Some paced, others tried to busy themselves with tasks to make the time pass, some of us just chatted about the 13 incredible "kids" (plus Cheryl, John, Dan and Mike!) about to accomplish something so few ever will. And as the moment came where the marker sat just off the shore of France, we all held our breaths. The text came that the first boat had made it, and we all cheered and a few cried. And shortly after the first, a second text came that the second boat had made it as well. Another cheer, more clapping, and more tears. We may have made a tiny scene in the lobby, but would it be Arch any other way?? We were speechless in many ways. How do you put into words the feeling you have experiencing someone else's triumph? Pride? Joy? Happiness? Elation? Nothing seems to quite sum up just how incredible we think this accomplishment is. I thought to myself, if I feel this way without even participating how must the Zombies feel? Tired. Sunburned. Hungry. If I can't explain how those of us on land felt, there is no way I can possibly describe how they must have felt. I can say, however, that I could hear their cheers as they landed back in Dover all the way from the hotel, a good 5 minute walk away. I'll let them tell you about it tomorrow, no need to steal their well-deserved thunder. So, many thanks go out to the supporters out there. The parents, the sponsors, the family and friends who believed in the goal, and without whom this may never have happened. And a big thanks from me, because I know I will never forget the experience I have had and the impression these incomparable "kids" have left on me in just a few short months.
-Lisa

7 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how proud of am of every one the zombies. I cried when I heard they had all finished. You are all the most amazing kids I have ever met. -Lisa Weinreb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa Weinreb and I had been text and tracking all through the night and morning here in San Diego. I even made the detectives at the Oceanside Police Department log on and track while I was there this morning. They all know her and have been hearing about this swim for months so they were just as excited. I have not been able to wipe the smile off my face all day. There are no words. I love you Maddy. I am SO grateful to you, Mike, you are one HELL of a dad. And I of course I love and appreciate Cheryl and ALL the Arch staff, students and parents...without all of you, this wouldn't be. Thank you. I got to speak to Maddy today and the pride and excitement in her voice was priceless...can't wait to see the TATTOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - thank you for this beautiful post. You have captured the moments and the experience so beautifully - made me feel as if I was sitting in lobby chewing my toenails with all of you. I have been walking around with this HUGE smile on my face all day. I am so proud of all of you. Wesley, I am the luckiest Dad in the world. Incredible - just incredible. (And now - do NOT get a Tattoo!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Parth, Faith, Wesley, Noah, Betzi, Kaylee, Maddy, Zach, Diana, Lauren, Paul, Matt, CJ, Dan, John, Mike, and Cheryl! You all dared yourselves to follow a notion all the way too a wonderful and insane challenge, and you more than followed through with it. After months of trials and the triumph, you deserve nothing less than to be able to proudly say you did the impossible. Its amazing to see how far you have all come, as athletes, students. No corner of this Earth seems safe from the Zombie Patrol Apocalypse. Hopefully France can handle the unfiltered energetic celebrations of "The Swimming Dead". I can't wait to hear your side of this incredible story after your much deserved break on dry land.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHMYGOSHYOUDIDIT!!!! Congratulations to all of you! I honestly have no idea how you managed to swim 28 miles in choppy, freezing water, and other conditions I can't comprehend and don't know about, but I am sure you did it in that awesome ARCH-like way of presenting an impossible challenge and beating it from head to foot. I know, because of this moment, that all of you will go out into life and CONQUER it. YOU ARE AMAZING. Betzi and Paul, there was no prouder sibling in the world than me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. Incredible. Outstanding. So proud of Lauren and all the Arch Zombies! All of you inspire us everyday with what you have learned at Arch and how you have grown because of this experience. Cheryl and the staff and the parents all should be commended for their hard work along with the Zombies as well. So proud of all of you! Anything is do-able and everything is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job! Congratulations!
    From David

    ReplyDelete