Sunday, June 28, 2015

Day 10: Hiking the Cliffs and Mindful Reflection

Maddy
THANK YOU SPONSORS AND DONORS
Today was an easy day with a light breakfast of Miralax water and another huge bottle of water. Cheryl and I went into town to find a place to get our nails done. And like every Mexican food place in San Diego, they were all closed on Sundays. The two of us went back to the hotel to chill out while the rest of the clan went on a hike to the White Cliffs. From what I heard, it was spectacular and everyone had fun. I had a good time reading my book and waiting for my stomach to feel better. We got some lunch in the cafe which we very much enjoyed. Thank you to all our sponsors and donors. You guys are the reason we're having awesome meals, going to London, and getting souvenirs. We also had a productive group and are looking forward to tomorrow when we leave for London! Thank you everyone!

Faith
The White Cliffs
Today, I woke up at about seven. I headed down for breakfast, and heard that we were going on a hike at 11:00. At first I was not looking forward to it, however, I ended up LOVING it. THANK YOU JOHN! John led us on this hike. We walked along the white cliffs of Dover, and we headed to the viewing point. When we reached the farthest viewing point, we found a shipwreck! We all thought it was probably from World War II!! Nevertheless, we are not 100% sure. So, the rest of the day was low key. I am very excited to go to London, and get some souvenirs. I am having to end this, but, today we had a very constructive group. This helped me realize how I can be selfless instead of selfish. Also, I learned how to be more mindful of everyone else, and how I can't let others make me feel different about myself :). I also want to say thank you to all of our donors, sponsors, and everyone else who helped make this trip possible. YAY ZOMBIES!

Lauren
The Adventures of Arch Academy, Zombie Patrol: Hiking
Today started out with a beautiful hike. Thank you, John for taking us! The view was so amazing and I honestly felt like I was in the field in the movie, "The Sound Of Music". I wish I could have brought my camera but that's okay because I have the beautiful view captured in my mind. When we got back, the group had a team meeting led by Cheryl. The team meeting made me realize that I need to step out of my own bubble and start asking others about their interests or how their day is going. I've been selfish and self-absorbed my entire life and it is time for me to start stepping up as a leader for the current ARCH students and the others who are yet to come. Also, I found out that a lot of RESCU students have been following our blogs and if any of you are reading this, I would just like to take a moment to tell you that what you have started here has not been forgotten. Thank you for all those days at the YMCA and all the cove swims. You guys have all helped make up what ARCH is today. Overall, today was kind of a free day. We relaxed after the hike and the team meeting and now we are blogging after dinner in the hotel. I miss and love everyone back home and want you guys to know that I am having the time of my life, so thank you mom and dad and all the donors for sending the Zombie Patrol to the English Channel.

Diana
What a Beautiful Hike
Today we went on a hike to the White Cliff's of Dover which was beautiful. Thank you John so much for taking us. It was nice to get out of the hotel and get fresh air in a beautiful area. We were walking up a lot of stairs and up hills so it was also a good workout. There were a lot of bees that were bigger than the normal worker bees. When we were walking back Betzi, Matt, and I saw the quadratic formula on the wall. Betzi had drawn a Venus fly trap with a bee around it on the sidewalks. We then had lunch and then watched a little TV. We then had a group in which I realized that I need to become more mindful of the people around me. I want to thank all of the donors that helped support us in getting to the English Channel, to my peers that helped, to Lisa, John, Cheryl, Dad, Papa, and to everyone else. I thought it was a wonderful day and there is always something to be learned inside and outside of the water.

Kaylee
A Day of Beauty and Reflecting.
Today, at breakfast we talked about what we would be doing in the future for PE and whether or not we would continue swimming (HAS NOT BEEN DECIDED YET). This gave me time to reflect and really think of how much swimming has changed and saved my life. I just wanted to thank past students who started and were a part of the continuation of the swim program before me. As much of a pain and challenge swimming can be for me at times, at the end of the day it always makes me feel better and it really has saved my life. I personally would like to continue swimming so future students can experience something similar to me. Swimming has also brought me a lot closer to my family (missing you guys!!). During the day, John took us on a hike on the white cliffs of Dover which was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! The walk was intense but once we made it to the cliffs it was well worth it because the view was incredible. I wish I had brought my camera but I am glad I was able to live in the moment. I was also glad I was able to bring the speaker so I could listen to some music. After coming back we had a group with more reflecting and I continue to remember there is always something I can do to improve. Thank you again to ALL the people who donated: family members, friends, peers, etc, and all our sponsors: HXC Sport, Milwaukee Tool!! Your support helped make this possible.

Zach
Conversation.
Today we started off by taking an amazing hike lead by John Allcock to the White Cliffs of Dover. At the top of the White Cliffs of Dover, I looked around and saw so much beauty in nature. It was really amazing and I loved the views. One that I liked specifically was the the over view of the small town of Dover and the port. With this being said, I thanked John for taking all of us to the White Cliffs of Dover and also planning the hike. Something that I do want to mention is that during the day, I was thinking along with the other students about whether Zombie should continue. I would say yes because it has helped with our academics and our well-being and our relationships with our families and friends. I also want to thank the past members of Zombie and the people who have started and kept the swimming program running because it has helped everyone who has been in it and will help the future students who join. Later in the day, during dinner, I was working with improving Noah's conversation skills. I tried my best to talk with him about a lot of different things. I feel that I made some progress.

Wesley
Fun, thanks, and friends
Today I woke up, and I went to the gym again. This time I was very sore from yesterday. Then I ate some breakfast with Dan. Today we went on a hike along the White Cliffs of Dover. It was very beautiful. I found a bunch of dandelions, and I made a wish. I found the nature so pretty. I took a deep breath, and let the nature throw away some of my negative thoughts. Even the walk to the cliffs was so pretty, for example it was green. On top of the cliffs I could see a shipwreck in the channel water which I have never seen in real life before. It made me want to try shipwreck scuba diving. Then we came back to the hotel, and we ate lunch. I had a burger, and french fries. Then Paul, and I watched some of the Princess Bride. Then we had a group. In group I realized I need to work on understanding social cues especially with girls. I need to start holding myself accountable for my actions. This group also made me realize that I should start bonding with the guys more and not just the girls. After the group, I talked with Parth a lot. Thank you, Parth, for helping me with my conversational and social skills. After that I went with Paul, Parth, and Zach and we played cards and munched on frosted flakes, which in England, they call Frostys. Then we ate some dinner together, and Parth helped me have a good conversation. Tomorrow we are going to London. I am thrilled. I lived in London for six months and I have been wanting to go back, and now I get to go with my Arch pals. I want to thank Sam, Milwaukee tools, and everyone who helped us get money for our trip, and a good swim.

Parth
The Great Group
The beginning of today's events involves a trip to breakfast and then an interesting hike, where we saw the most beautiful flowers and insects, as well as an amazing shipwreck, which was really awesome.  Later in the day, we had a group.  From this group, I reflected on my various antisocial habits and inherent selfishness.  My habit of hoarding as well as my not listening to advice from peers and teachers have contributed to my bad behavior.  The group has helped me with my antisocial behaviors as well, and today before and after dinner, I managed to hold a conversation with Wesley, helping him with his social skills in the process.  I am glad that I managed to improve my social skills, and I hope to have been a help to Wesley as well.  After the group, I will focus on improving my habits of hoarding and antisocial behavior.  I would like to thank the group for helping me correct my misbehavior, and I really appreciate it.  Today, I have made steps to correct my bad habits, and I would like to thank the group for that.

Noah
Hiking in the white cliffs
Today we ate breakfast in the morning. I helped Zach to get his waffles out of the toaster during breakfast. We went hiking to the white cliffs. I saw France and the port of Dover and ships. I also saw a wrecked ship near the shore. I was thinking it's a U-boat because it was used during WWII. We went back the to the hotel and ate lunch. Today I thought of 10 positive things in group. I also talked about improving my social skills with Zach during Dinner. Thank you, Zach, for having conversations with me. The 10 positive things are helping me be more positive with myself. Tomorrow morning we're taking a train to London and I'm excited to go to London. I miss you all.

Paul
Telephone Pole
I want to point out that this global trip has been a strong social experience for me. At the beginning of the trip, I was worried that I would get behind on homework if I did not bring it on the trip, and that I would have to be very busy getting back on pace for the time afterwards. Many people warned me that I should not have brought it anyway, but I ignored them and mentally prepared for working. Once the trip started and I began to work, I was told that I wouldn’t be allowed to do homework. A few days into the trip, I realized that even during idle times, I wouldn’t even get very far on homework, since I’m busy working and planning stuff with the rest of my peers. Heck, without homework or the rest of my activities back in California, I feel very relaxed. I can focus on going around and sight-seeing with others, play cards, or see what kind of strange children’s shows the British make. All of it is new, original experiences that I’ll probably never get to repeat again, so I’m going to make the best of it.
Anyway, today we walked around on the white bluffs. I liked the breathtaking view of the harbor and the rest of Dover. The loading procedures of the ships at the harbor involved organized rows and spirals of cars and semi-trucks. There was a sunken ship at the base of one of the cliffs, and we speculated that it may have been a U-boat from World War II. I think it possibly could have been a platform that collapsed from the top of the cliff, since there was some concrete/brick supports at the top where we were standing.

Matt
Amazing Day

So we had an amazing day. We got to have a great walk along the White Cliffs of Dover. I mean the views were incredible. I was so happy that I got to hang out with John and all of my peers. We could see France over all of the blue water. The other really cool thing was the huge tankers that were going across the channel. We also got to see a really cool shipwreck from the White Cliffs. After that I got to sit with the Arch friends and play cards. I was really happy to help the other kids be a little bit more socially engaged. After that I was able to enjoy a group and I really felt like I was becoming a better leader and a better person in general. This was a pretty great day and we are about to go to London so that is going to be really fun. 

Betzi
Sting!
I really enjoyed today, especially the hike around the white cliffs of Dover that John mapped out for us. It was discovered that the chalky calcium carbonate that comprises the cliff faces can be used as commercial sidewalk chalk like the type used on kindergarten playgrounds, even creating a white cloud of chalk dust when thrown at a stone or the pavement. The tops of the cliffs are far from being consistently white though. There were many shades making up the different species of grasses,
gnarled trees and ivy, and wild flowers scattered throughout the landscape; plants bearing burgundy seed pods, purple bell flowers, light green tendrils, and startlingly red petals textured like crepe paper. Lots of insects too (yeah, the camera was filled up pretty quickly), and especially spittlebugs of the family Cercopidae. The nymphs reside in these milky gobs of saliva-like froth attached to their preferred plants, the former keeping them protected from predators/extreme temperatures and the latter being their food source during the first instar. Unfortunately, the biggest froth-gobs were located directly inside a patch of stinging nettles... the thought of the pictures I came away with make me feel better about the burning rashes on my forearms as I type this. Zach was kept moving along the trail quickly in his attempts to avoid the big, bristling carpenter bees that were out despite the wind, which was pretty funny. I stayed behind at a certain point in the hike to hunt through some brambles in peace, but the rest of the group returned with photos of a sunken ship that they saw through the water shallows. Later, Parth, CJ, Matt, Paul, Zach, Noah, and I played Texas hold 'em (as re-imagined by Zach with Uno cards). A serious group meeting preceded the announcement that we will all be going to London tomorrow. Prime opportunity for new leaders to step up.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day. A day of reflection and mindfulness. Well done. Wesley, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on seeing London again! Uncle Dave was down this weekend and he said to tell you - "you may sit where you please!" - as long as you are considerate of others. Much love - miss you - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that must have been a serious group meeting! It sounds like you are all very thankful and appreciative of the sacrifices that many people made in order to make ARCH Academy what it is and to your trip possible.

    Lauren, enjoy every minute of London, it is one of my most favorite cities. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you on Friday. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wesley! Aside from all the other amazing things you are seeing, doing, feeling... I humbly offer my divemaster status to FINALLY teach you to scuba dive. And then you will at last learn what it is like to fart when diving. :)

    To all the Arch students, I am so amazed and impressed at the insights and growth that you are sharing. I do feel a little like a voyeur because you guys don't know me (except for Wesley, of course), but just know that you are all amazing and inspiring. Have SO much fun in London!

    xoxo

    --Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parth! Glad you were a good friend to Wesley as many others are to you. Sounds like a tough and powerful group! You continue to amaze me as you grow and progress. Have a lot of FUN and enjoy your vacation!! Mom

    ReplyDelete