Monday, June 29, 2015

Day 11- London

Lauren
LONDON
My day started out with a light breakfast before getting on the hour long train ride. This train ride was going towards the one and only, London. I cannot even describe to you how excited I was to go there. Getting there made me realize that it is a lot like New York City which I thought was pretty cool. Throughout this trip, I have been saying that it would be great to go to college in the city of London. However, after visiting, I have decided that I would rather not. Even though it is an amazing place and I enjoyed every second there, I would prefer to go for a vacation rather than four years of college. The first thing we did in London was tour the war rooms of Winston Churchill. Throughout this tour, I learned so much about him. I probably know more about Winston Churchill than I do about myself now. (Just kidding!) Even though that was a great historical experience, I would have to say that my favorite part was when all the girls tried to find their way to Big Ben and it took longer than expected. In other words, we got pretty lost. Even though the trip to London exhausted me, I'm so glad that we went because it truly was an experience. 

Diana
What a Great Day
Today I woke up at 6:30 am to go to the gym. Worked out for a little and then ate breakfast. I then took a shower and went to the train station with the group to go to London. It was awesome and so cool. We went to Churchill's bunkers and went to the museum which was interesting. I like looking around and the interactive stuff. After that we went to lunch which was good. I had a Cesar salad which was not much but it was really good. The girls went to look around and then we went to meet up with the others at Big Ben. It took a long time to actually get there but we did. Once we met up with the rest of the group we sat for a little and then headed back to the train station. The train ride was an hour long and we mostly just joked around until we got back. It was a tiring day for my feet but it was really fun. We then went back to the hotel and put some stuff away and headed out to dinner. We ate at the restaurant called The Eight Bells. I had a hot dog and nachos. I then came back and then started blogging. 

Maddy
Cheers
Today we were able to take a train into London. It was a bright, sunny day in London and that made the trip even better. We first went to Churchill's War Rooms, a museum dedicated to Churchill and his kitchen (seriously, there were a lot of exhibits/postings about his eating habits). We then went to lunch.We wandered around London looking at all the sites. We then decided to call it a day and go back to Dover. We then had dinner at The Eight Bells. Now, we're blogging and desperately wanting to go to sleep.

Faith
London
After we got to London after an hour and a half's train ride, we headed to Churchill's War Rooms. It was very warm, but since we were underground, it got cooler. After this we headed to lunch, and it was good. Then, we headed to Buckingham Palace. It was amazing, and we could all see the Beefeaters guarding the palace. We then headed to Big Ben, and soon after we arrived, the big bell rang. Later, we headed back to the train station to come back to Dover. I am having to finish this up, but I had a great day, and I am so thankful for all of our sponsors :).

Kaylee
I found my new home
Today we woke up semi-early, ate breakfast, and took a train into London. London was super cool. It reminded me of New York City, except the cars were heading a different direction. We all managed to stay safe though lol. We stopped at Churchill's Bunker first. I was able to learn A LOT of information I didn't know. Then we walked around and found a diner to eat some lunch at. The girls then walked around to take a look around the city. After walking for a while, we met back up with everyone else and walked back to the train station. A lot of walking was done today!! We have been getting A LOT of good exercise. After returning to the hotel, Matt and I were interviewed on Skype by Fox 5 News. We then met back up with the group and ate some dinner. I can not wait to sleep in tomorrow!! I'm really loving England. 

Betzi
Labyrinth
I had not expected everything to be so centralized in London. Big Ben, Churchill's bunker, the London Eye, a couple different embassies- they are all within walking distance of one another, conjoined by imposing iron statues and old, intricately-sculptured architecture. Even the central
train station had an interesting stylized roof structure covering the lines of people and inside awnings (which were lined a bit obsessively with spikes to prevent pigeons from sitting on them... also covered in spikes were the light fixtures and CCTV security cameras, as though some anti-pigeon maniac unleashed their wrath on every upper surface of the entire station). The museum set up inside Churchill's bunker was really thorough in its display of Winston Churchill's life. While I honestly could have lived without learning about the prime minister's favorite beverage or breed of dog, it was interesting to see that his "private lavatory" actually held a secret phone with a direct connection to Franklin Delano Roosevelt during World War II, and to learn how the East India Trading Company so heavily influenced Churchill's response to the India independence movement. The museum's structure can be accurately described as labyrinthian; I got lost, Paul got lost, and when Parth went back in to get CJ it only resulted in both of them taking half an hour to find their way out. I have not tried much tea yet, as very few people here seem to prefer decaf, but I feel it is important to mention that there is currently a very large silver tea kettle on the lobby desk adjacent from the one I am
typing at. It is dark outside the hotel, save for some lights reflecting off the water of the Channel. Goodnight.

Blogs
Parth
A Trip into London
The day began with my excursion to an early breakfast, followed by a day-trip to London.  We first took the short walk to the train, then went from there to London.  I loved looking at Buckingham Palace, and enjoyed our view of Big Ben.  We saw the London Eye, and throughout the day, I talked to Wesley and worked on his social skills.  During lunch, we had nice conversations, and I improved my social skills as well, bringing greater insight to my life.  I also got to carry the medicine bag, which was awesome, as it shows that I am more trustworthy.  Lastly, we got out of London, and made our way to dinner.  We ate good food, and I am going to go to bed happy.  Thank you to everyone who has helped me get to where I am today. 
CJ
London
Today began with a 2 hour train ride across British countryside to London. The first thing we went to was Churchill’s Bunker from where he commanded the British forces during World War II. The bunker was full of artifacts and maps that were used during the war. Many of the rooms were sealed off to look into. There was another part that was a museum about Winston Churchill and his life. We then went to lunch at a restaurant that attempted to be American and Italian, but was not. I had an oversized burger that was good, but would have been better in America. After lunch we walked to Buckingham Palace and Big Ben. London was very cool and I am glad that I had the opportunity to see all these thing in person.

Noah
Amazing things in London
Today we went to London on a train. For me I thought we’re moving to London because I thought the entire group is going with their luggage but we’re not and that taught me that I need to listen. The train ride is fun because the train is running fast like a high-speed train from Japan which was really cool. I talked to John about the high-speed trains in Japan. He said he has been on one before. When we arrived in London, I saw the London Eye and Big Ben. We saw statues of lions in front of the museum. We also went to Churchill’s war room. I only know one part of Churchill and why his country went to war. I like it and it was really fun and I also learned about Churchill. I also can see Big Ben and the London eye from Churchill’s war room. After we went to Churchill’s war room we ate lunch and we went to the palace where Queen Elizabeth lives. I didn’t visit her because she’s not there but I saw the guards in the palace. Tomorrow morning, I don’t know if where going to London or we’re doing something else at Dover.

Wesley
The Dream
Today I woke up, and ate a big breakfast. Then we went on a train to London. It was so pretty riding up for example I saw a meadow of wild mustard. When we got to London I could not believe I was at last there again. I saw the London eye working which they were building when I lived there. I walked through St. James Park which I used to go to when I was a kid, and I could not believe I was there. Then we went to Churchill’s war tunnels. They were ok. Then we went and ate some lunch. I had a whole sheet of ribs. Then we went to Buckingham Palace for my second time. I did not see the queen but I liked knowing she was there. Then I saw Big Ben. Lisa told me that it’s not just the clock that’s called big ben it’s the bell inside, I really liked learning about Big Ben and I loved talking to Lisa about London. I did not see my old house in London, or the family but it felt good to know it was somewhere in the city. Then I got on a train, and came back to Dover. I took a nap on the train. Then we went out to dinner, and I had fried chicken and fries. Parth has been helping me with my conversations, and he said tonight I did a very good job. The whole time on this trip, I have considered England my home, and all of the Arch friends my family. When I saw St. James Park, and Big Ben, I could not believe I was seeing it in real life again. I have more to enjoy on this trip.

Zach Irvine
Pineapple!
Today we finally got to explore London, which is always something that I wanted to do. To get there, we took a train. On the train ride, there is this ongoing joke I guess I would call the “pineapple” joke. When we were in Canterbury doing the ghost tour, the tour guide said to say pineapple when you were scared of something. During that tour, I said pineapple a lot since the tour guide scared the crap out of me. So now, during the train ride, I remember that Wesley tried to hug me from behind and he did it slowly. So when I noticed him, I yelled pineapple on the train. It was really hilarious and we all had a good amount of those similar times which they were also really funny. Ok, now when we reached London, we first explored the War Rooms which Churchill lived in for periods of time during WWII. We then went to the place that the queen of England lives. After that, we went to Big Ben, and then we went back to Dover.

Matt
London Bridge Is Falling Down
Hola! Today we went to London and after the Arch Academy was there it will never be the same again. The bridge of Britain society will fall down. After the excitement and positivity the Arch Academy brought to the grand capital they call London. First, we went to that courtyard in front of the natural history museum that only Lisa knows the name to. After that we took a walk in one of the most beautiful parks in London. I think it was called St James. I am really bad at remembering these British names. I can, however, remember the amazing times I had in front of Big Ben when I was with my Arch Academy friends. We also had some delicious food and I felt like a great leader.
(ps-the courtyard Matt is referring to is Trafalgar Square, which everyone had a hard time remembering!-Lisa)

Paul
Cosmic Spallations

Today we walked around London, which wasn’t too comfortable on my ankle. I think I twisted it badly over those days walking on the beach. I think the most interesting part of the Churchill museum was his escape from the Boer War in 1899, earning him enough fame to jump into politics. Why don’t we have more towers with clocks on them like Big Ben? It’s pretty convenient to have the time available up there. The traffic here is pretty fast and close to public walk paths. Ambulances speed by at high speeds with very loud sirens. I hope to get a good idea of what gifts I want to get for our next day in London, since there isn’t that much time left.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren! So happy to hear how much you are enjoying yourself - now that you have taken such an incredible journey! Can't tell you how proud I am of what you did and more important- who you have become. I hope you treasure the experience along with your Arch family, for a lifetime... dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read about your next days adventure. I love reading about what you are doing each day. Keep up the blogging. I want to see pictures!!!
    The news did a great story on your successful crossing of the Channel. I recorded it so you can see it when you get back. Love you. -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wesley, it sounds wonderful. I love it that you're returning to a place I know you hold special in your heart. Dude, are you eating any fruits or vegetables or salad along with the sheets of ribs, fried chicken and fries? Hope so! And! Saw some photos from London and if I'm not mistaken you've shaved your beard! Almost didn't recognize that face! Mom is safe and happy in Switzerland (and very annoyed she has no internet so she can read your blogs) Surf is looking pretty good at the shores. Love you, my man!

    ReplyDelete