Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Day 6- One last swim and lots of prep

Paul
Backscratcher
Today we shopped for the lunch that we'll eat on the boat. I packed my water bottles, sweatpants, jackets, swim equipment, drawing materials, and other stuff for the boat trip. We played Texas Hold'em in Matt's room, using Uno cards as chips. We'll go to bed early tonight in order to wake up at 4:00 AM.

Wesley
Preparing
Today I woke up, and I ate a very good breakfast. Then I went for a swim, it got me all ready and excited for tomorrow. During breakfast some negative thoughts came to my mind, and to let them go I went and chatted with one of the Australian mates. Then we went shopping to get stuff for tomorrow just like a family going to the store together. Then we went and had lunch I had fish and chips. For dinner tonight we had Italian food, and we have to get up real early tomorrow, so I have to go to bed good night.

Zach
Preparing for Departure
Today we simply collected our 12 hour lasting picnic for the boat. We went to the super market or food store, or just a store that sells food, and when it came to check out, we got this really long list. Afterwards we packed our bags and we packed everything and organized what we were going to take on the boat. These were the main events that took place and I can't wait for departure. End of blog.

Lauren
BLAST OFF!
I woke up today feeling indecisive about whether or not I should practice getting in the water today because I still was not feeling my best. However, after about three hours, I decided that it might be best to just get in but not push myself too hard. I swam for 30 minutes. Well, I guess you could say that I paddled rather than swam. But afterwards, I felt a lot better. Anyways, the swim is coming up so soon and it is so amazingly unbelievable. We have waited so long for this very moment and now it is here. I have complete faith that we will succeed. Wish us luck as we take off!

Noah
English Channel swimming coming up
I woke up and ate breakfast in the morning. The beach is sunny outside. We did meditation at the beach in a circle around the flower. We swam a half-hour swim and I swimming well because I'm thinking I'm not feeling cold. I was thinking because the sun is making me warm in the water. After we did our half-hour swim we traveled through town to buy out food for the English Channel swim. We also have to pack our things in our backpack for the English Channel. Tomorrow morning, we're going to swim the English Channel. I'll see you soon when we're doing our English Channel swim.

Parth
Onward to the English Channel
My awakening was pleasant this morning, and I managed to get a good night sleep.  I went to breakfast cheerfully, asking where everyone was on this morning.  I made my way to the ocean, finding it within myself to swim in the water one last practice, before the channel.  Shortly afterward, we went to our rooms to prepare for the channel.  After an hour and a half, we went to the blogging room from the night before, and we ate dinner.  Thank you to the Zombie's many supporters.

Betzi
Attempting Last-Minute Sleep
Well, here we go. In just nine hours, the teams will be on Viking Princess and Louise Jane, and Diana and I will be swimming to start off the relays. Lots of excitement right now, and strategizing- GPS tells us that one of the relays from the Australian team, Geelong Grammar, got blown way off course midway through the swim, hypothetically due to the boat/swimmer not going fast enough to fight the current. The swim this morning was relaxed and quick, and the rest of the day followed in a similar manner. I threw pretzel crumbs out onto the room balcony to try and get closeup pictures of this seagull, and sat on the floor (pretty much engulfed by the minefield that was, at one point, the contents of Lauren's suitcase) sketching in my notebook. We're all packed and ready. Wish us luck!


Maddy
This morning we went on our last pre-swim. We went into the water for about a half an hour and Kaylee, John, Betzi and I took a selfie in the water. Easier said than done. After, Kaylee and I filled our bathtub with hot water and made a makeshift hot tub. We rested while the boys, John, Mike, and Dan went into town to get food for the boat. Tomorrow we will be snacking on saltine crackers, grapes, bananas, apples, Gatorade, oatmeal, and peanut butter and jelly. We then had dinner together and had a long discussion about tomorrow. We are beginning to get more and more excited however, equally nervous. Tomorrow we have to meet in the lobby at 3:30am to make our way to the dock. Make sure to track us online by going to the Arch Academy website then go to About then Global Travels, then to Zombie A/B. Love you all, wish us luck. Over and out. J

Diana
Great Day
We swam for the last time before the actual swim. It was great and I feel like I can do it. We also mediated which was amazing because of the concept of worry. Later we went to town to order dinner and we got shakes. When I came back I received a back massage which was amazing. Thank you Cheryl. Later we chilled and then ate dinner. We had a team meeting and started blogging. YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! GO ZOMBIES.

Faith
The Night Before
Today was a calm day. At around 9:30, we all went swimming for a half hour. We didn’t go longer, to be sure we don’t tire ourselves out before the swim. John gave another amazing talk about worry, and fear… and it really helps! I have to end this so I can get enough sleep, so, we mostly stayed in today and rested. We just finished dinner, had our last team meeting, and we are now blogging. I love you mom and dad, and everybody who has supported me throughout this whole process. YAHHH ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!! TOMORROW IS THE DAY!

Kaylee
3 AM WAKE UP CALL?? BRING IT ON!!!!
Today we woke up and saw a note that Chloe left us, giving us the green light for tomorrow morning. We have a wakeup call set at 3 am and will be on the boat by 4. I noticed my adrenaline has already started to incline once I jumped in the water this morning. We spent today (trying) to calm down. It was cool to be able to see the other relay’s boats and where their locations were. Super excited and probably won’t be able to sleep although it would help if I did. Can’t believe this is actually happening. Just have to keep telling myself: “a moment of pain is worth a lifetime of glory.” We’re ready!!

CJ
Day 4
The calm before the storm would be a good way to describe the way I am feeling right now. Today we woke up early for a nice swim at 9 in the morning. Soon after, Zach, Paul, Matt and I tried to remember the rules to Texas Hold’em. We kinda got it. Then we went into town to buy lots of food for the swim and then I had fish and chips. Still don’t really know how I feel about this. All kinds of thoughts keep spinning in my head. But, I feel in true ARCH style, we’ll make it, and no one will ever forget the experience.

Matt
Oh I’ll Show You a Swim

So today I woke up and I started noticeably breathing. After that I got out of my bed and I realized I am a person. So I went to swim and then when I went into the hotel and then there was this super hero with a super amazing body and this afro that was also amazing. He was running around the hotel saying he was Afro Matt. He claimed to be a Puller of women, amazing swimmer, super slamming man with a speedo and green flip flops. Who is he? Is he a myth? Is he an old English legend? Or is he just a normal man with extraordinary hair and an extraordinary body. I don’t know I am just a normal Matt and I have to go to bed so I can have a boat day tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. All I can say is that I am SO proud of you all!!!
    There is no QUESTION in my mind that you will succeed. You have all been pushing and pulling each other for over a year and I know you will do so again tomorrow. Where one of you has been weak, the other has been strong, then vice versa the next swim out. This will be both a huge TEAM accomplishment as well as a huge INDIVIDUAL accomplishment, and I for one am honored to have been a part of it as simply a proud and awestruck parent.

    And not to sound TOTALLY corny, but this morning when I was thinking of you all and your start tomorrow, the song Betzi wrote a few years ago when she was raw and green at Arch but just starting to round the corner to recovery, "This is the Day!"

    Safe travels and we'll see you on the other side. GO ZOMBIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zombie Patrol--This is Otto and Heather. We want to tell you we think you'll all do a GREAT job in the channel swim. We have confidence that you'll make it!!!!!! (Otto's idea for 6 exclamation marks since he's excited for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Within very few living things on this planet is an instinct which drives said life forms forward when the forces of nature want to do nothing more than to end their attempts to move forward. Born from action and reaction, the essential and the something more that glows off of it, it makes those who survive go through a metamorphosis into those who thrive. It shatters the barriers that hold in the successful so that they can transcend and become something belonging to a power beyond comprehension. This instinct is fire and life and everything great and infinite. It is inside each and every one of you and, as you will soon find out, it is unstoppable. It is unstoppable, and therefor you are too.
    Go kick some ass. Go take some names. But above all, go out there and swim the English Channel. (We're all very proud of you and we wish you the best! Go Zombies!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am beyond excited for you all. Your combined attitude towards this challenge is incredible. Like Quinn says - kick ass - take names. And above all - enjoy! You're making amazing memories today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Arise... Shake off the chains with which you are bound, and come forth out of obscurity, and arise from the dust."

    Good luck storming Normandy, and know that whatever you do, however far you go, no one can take it away from you.

    ET

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go zombies! Wishing you all a fantastic swim, we know you'll face the challenge with gusto :) You're an amazing bunch! Congratulations in advance!

    The Schwedes

    P.s. CJ, lightening has decided to stay at my house and chase squirrels for the remainder of his life. He doesn't miss you one bit! Jk he's sending you good vibes and can't wait til you're home! Max and I can't wait to hear all about the swim and your trip! So proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Parth we wish you and the team all the very best for the swim today You and the team make us so very proud 😄 if there is a link where we can see the team swimming please do send us the same Looking forward to your comments on the blog for today 😄lots of love Asha & Gautam

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone needs the links to following the two teams' progress, they are on this page: http://www.archacademysandiego.com/our-world-travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go Arch! Parth, so proud of you. You're doing something incredible! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Parth and the Arch team!! All the best on the swim! You've all prepared and prepared and prepared. And most importantly you "showed up"! Surprising how both preparation and deciding to show up will help help you succeed throughout life. An important victory for you all even as you jump into the waters!!

    Our best wishes for all of your continued successes.

    Swimming in Seattle,

    Arya, Aditi and Samir

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Parth, when you reach the shores of France, take a moment, close your eyes, and listen to your breath. Open your eyes and look at all your friends and mentors around you. You have accomplished something truly incredible. And you have been blessed with being part of a team of people who have accomplished something incredible together. Take a moment to pause, listen and acknowledge whatever thoughts or feelings you have at that moment - whatever they are. Then go deeper to your true authentic self. This, my son, is who you are. Loved by many, respected by many, and someone who has a great deal to contribute to this world. Pause on that shore where war was fought, and realize you and your fellow Arch students and teachers have traversed challenges and obstacles in life and in the water - victorious, victorious, victorious. My hope for you is now, at this moment in France where water meets land, you realize: you can do anything. I miss you, love you, and look forward to hearing about your amazing journey. I know I don't tell you this often, but know I think these thoughts about you always. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete