Monday, June 22, 2015

Day 4- Swims 4&5 and the Viking Princess

Kaylee
TURN YOUR MUSIC DOWN
Today started pretty early. We woke up at 6 (lol I know that doesn't seem early since we are used to 4am but we are still getting adjusted to time.) Anyways, we ate breakfast and jumped right into the icy waters. After talking to the other team from Australia, I found out that they could hear us screaming as we got in the water all the way from their hotel rooms. They said our screams made them nervous. I let them know that we like to make a scene everywhere we go ;). Afterwards, Zombie B (YAAASSSS) got to check out our boat: Viking Princess. The captain is super chill and it sounds like he knows what he is doing. Being on the boat made me feel a little more calm. It also made me realize that we're actually doing this. (Thank you so much for everyone who helped make this possible). John, being super nice, took me to a yoga class around the corner of our hotel. We went to scope it out before everyone else went. It was very calming and different from what I'm used to. We'll all be going tomorrow at 4:30pm.

Maddy
VIKING PRINCESS
Today, we woke up at 6:30 to swim. I went down for breakfast and cried my eyes out because I was so tired, stressed, scared, and exhausted. Cheryl let me sleep until 11. (Bless you, Cheryl). We then had lunch and swam shortly after. We walked out in the rain and the air was freezing. If the air is cold, the water must be terrible. Our hypotheses were correct. My dad decided he was joining us in the water. He was the first one in, and he stayed in for almost 8 minutes. Congratulations, dad! That swim put me in a better mood. After that, we went to see our boat. OUR BOAT IS SO AWESOME AND BIG. The Captain is very nice and he seems like he would be a lot of fun!!! Seeing the boat made me extremely excited to swim! A couple of us went into town and went shopping. We got a couple of cheap souvenirs. Ta Ta for now!!!!!!! Love you

Lauren
Monday, Funday
Today was the first day in Dover where we did not sleep in. We got our wake up call early and we were all downstairs for breakfast at 6:30 AM. We then went down to rocks on the Dover beach and had our usual chillingly cold swim. I went out for 30 mins and swam with Kaylee for most of the swim. I am so proud that I was actually able to keep up with her! Later that afternoon, about half of our Zombie Patrol team swam a second practice while Kaylee and I stood on the shore listening to Kaylee's extremely loud and aggressive music. It was so loud that some man came up to us and told Kaylee to turn the music down because he was working in the office next door. It was pretty funny, in my opinion. Oh! And also, we went back to the boats and saw Zombie B's boat, "The Viking Princess." As I stepped onto their boat, I realized this swim is REALLY happening. It is most likely going to be on Thursday morning, and I am incredibly excited. I am fully aware that the two hours that I will be in the water will be the most freeing moments of my life so far. Our adventure is just beginning and the fun has just begun. I cannot express how happy I am now that we know when our swim will most likely be. Even though the sea sickness will be torturous, the rush I will feel in that ocean will be so worth it. I'd love to continue, but words cannot describe how exhausted I am, so I guess I will just stop there. I look forward to blogging tomorrow.

Zach
Today is June 22, 2015
Today I woke up at six and found that breakfast was at six thirty. With this, I was also down at the lobby with other Zombies expecting that when I said that six o clock is the breakfast place's earliest hour open, it was wrong and I got some or many comments from them about my timing. After breakfast, I did my last practice swim early in the morning. If you are curious about how the water felt, put yourself in a freezer filled with ice and have the AC blasting at the lowest. Fun yeah, although I felt that the swim has fully prepared me. Afterwards, we did a lot of sit around and do jack nothing. Except for I and some other Zombies, we decided to wonder around the wee town of Dover. Along the way I found this sign that said the following: "NO STUPID PEOPLE BEYOND THIS POINT". From reading the sign, I think that the English men and woman section off people due to the amount of stupidity that they have. Now isn't that interesting. After wondering around, we got back to the hotel and looked at ZOMBIE B's boat. It was huge. Compared to ours, they had a ship a little smaller than the Catalina Channel boat except it had less space. Our boat is about the size of the landing boats they took the soldiers in during operation D-Day. After that we wandered the town of Dover a little more then ate, and blogged our day. End of Blog. PS: I love the nice, cool, and fresh milk and the mars bars :)


Matt
O My God it ith tho Thuper Cold
So I was swimming today and it was really cold. I was only swimming for an hour and it was cold. People in the hotel are swimming for a straight 12 hours; what are these crazy people doing? Me, Paul and Wesley went into town today and that was pretty cool. I had some really British food. I had Sausage and Chips it was pretty delectable. I am pretty tired right now and I have been tired all day. I am really hoping that tonight I will get a good night's rest. Me, Noah, and Zach watched some British TV today it was really interesting to see the cultural differences in children's shows. There is one child show on BBC and it was called “Horrible History” but the references seemed like they were probably for adults. Anyway Cheryl told me I have to go so good night.

Noah
Frozen ocean and Viking princess boat
We swam to practice the English Channel. I asked Dan why the English Channel is frozen. He told me because England is near the North Pole and I was thinking so that’s why English Channel is cold. I was feeling cold when we’re getting in the ocean and I wasn’t feeling cold when we were swimming. After we finished the practice, we got into the sauna. I was getting too hot after we’re inside the sauna. We ate lunch at 11 o’clock and me, Matt, and Zach watched British TV. We don’t know what we watched but we watch news on TV. After we watched some TV, we went to the docks and we saw our boat the Viking Princess. The boat is good because the boat has lots of beds and it's like a bigger boat. Tomorrow we’re going to do something else beside practice the relay.

Wesley
Surf and Turf
Today I woke up and had breakfast with Paul. I went for three walks today with Paul, Matt, Diana, Zack, Maddy, and Lauren. I got my first souvenirs . I went swimming twice today. The water was cold. I am excited for the swim.  On this trip I feel like I am on my own. I think I am the freest I have ever been on a global trip. All of the guys from the Australian team like me a lot. I have had great conversations with them. Dad I wanted to let you know that I have been having a hard time interacting with the girls but I am not letting that bother me because on this trip I am as free as animals. Today I felt like maybe someday for the last few years I am at Arch I should go somewhere by myself, or just me and a friend. I am so proud of myself for being so independent on this trip. Chery agrees that I am free and I told her I feel so free, and she was happy to hear me say that. Today I spent some time in the dining hall just me, and the Australian guys. It was fun. I have more of this trip to enjoy.

Diana
Sick one Sick two
Today I woke up with a very sore throat and a runny nose and Betzi had a coughing spasm. Then we went to breakfast we had the option to swim this morning or in the afternoon. I chose to swim in the afternoon. When I was sleeping a seagull started hullaballooing and I ran to the window to scare it. Ten minutes later we heard the sound again and this time I went to the window and yelled at it to get away. Then I went in the water and swam for a half hour. We then went into town and I got a necklace. We then had dinner and it was fabulous. And I am very happy and I know we will all do great. Zombie!!!!

Faith
BIRDS
I slept very well last night, and I didn’t wake up to pigeons hiding in the corner of my room. This morning, after we all ate breakfast, we got in the water. It was about 7:15, and the temperature was about 59 degrees. We then came back, took a nap, ate lunch and then got ready to swim again. Before I left my room to swim, Maddy and I fed some seagulls and pigeons. I stayed in the second time for about 30 minutes, but earlier, I was in for 50. Some of us went to town, and bought a few things. We just finished dinner, and we are about to go back to our rooms. GO ZOMBIES!!!!!!!

Parth
The Gemini Swim
The brilliant illumination of my hotel room started off my day.  My fantastic journey through life’s great gift, the day, had begun.  I quickly realized that CJ, my roommate was missing, and it turned out that he had left and woken up at 3 AM.  Later, at breakfast, I consumed roughly a pound of food, bingeing in preparation for my earliest swim yet.  I also saw the beginning and end of a second swim, and with each swim, the swimming got easier.  I later ate lunch, though by the time of our next excursion into the town of Dover, I was extremely hungry.  I managed to get some presents for Mom, Shivam, and Dad while in the town.  A special thanks to my parents, family, and all the other supporters for the Zombie English Channel swim.  Dinner was awesome, and my day could not have ended better.  Thank you all. 

Betzi
Phlegm
I felt pretty awful this morning, as it seems the night provided opportunity for millions of tiny phlegm particles to install viscous, green colonies inside my throat and nasal passages. Diana had also been converted into a plague-camp, so we both stayed back from the early workout (Thank you, Cheryl). Studying the rain outside from a window while drinking a bottle of sparkling water is an activity I highly recommend. Spheres of water falling down through air and spheres of air flying up through water make an oddly similar sound. Matt went into town and got me DOCTOR WHO: THE VISUAL DICTIONARY (UPDATED AND EXPANDED), which is really awesome. I read a lot of it today in between sleeping- Matt, you’re great, and Mia, you’re jealous. I really hope I didn’t get any phlegm on the pages. In closing, Paul broke his room’s fan. And the bed.

Mike Israel
I Swam, No Speedo.

Paul
Spinal Tap
The water was once again cold, especially since we had to get in at 7:30 this time. Wesley, Matt and I toured the town center before lunch. They have KFC here, oddly enough. I guess if there’s a will, there’s a way. Matt picked out a Dr. Who book for Betzi and Mia. We looked at Zombie B’s boat, the Viking Princess, which was larger than the Australian team’s, to our surprise. The lasagna I had for dinner was the best I’ve ever had. The other day on the beach I found part of a shotgun shell casing, the translucent part that holds all of the pellets…
Oh, and in reply to my father’s question: No, I can only change the rate of exchange by editing the program.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Parth and Arch team. Parth, great post - so well written and eloquent. Sounds like your adjustment to swimming there is going well. You're going to be great. I am there in spirit cheering you on. You are incredible and amazing. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still can't believe what you all are doing. Amazing. Wesley, sounds likes there's a bit of Aussie in you, mate. I love the freedom part. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Who knows if we'll pass this way again! Loving every minute with you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really great to hear from you guys and be transported to your journeys in Dover through these hilarious and inspiring (and hilariously inspiring) blogs. I miss you all, and wish you the best. I know that not even the freezing temperatures, sickness, or whatever other challenges you face will be able to slow you down. At the end of the day, it is not what you are fighting, but what you are fighting for that matters most. -Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing all of your adventures. You are going to do great on Thursday and I will be following your boat every minute on the computer. I love you and miss you Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautifully written Parth ...,,looking forward to your posts - hugs from CA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wes! You ROCK! Jonah sends a high-five and Otis wants to know if the water tastes different there than La Jolla. And Mira just sings Ring Around the Rosie all darn day. Tell the Aussies "Fair Dinkum!" (it's kinda the equivalent of "totally!")

    xoxoxoxoxo

    --lesley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Arch Team!!! Parth. I am so proud of you. Remember, you've already succeeded by taking on the challenge in the first place. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete