Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Day 13- Fun in the Sun

Lauren: Reflecting

Today consisted of the perfect "girls day." All of us went out into town and had a lot of fun. We left at noon and we probably stayed in town until closing hours. Today was a great day. Of course, everyday here in the U.K. has been an amazing opportunity. Thank you to both my parents for paying for this amazing experience. And thank you Cheryl for making all this possible. I never thought in a million years that I would be able to say, "I swam the English Channel with my school and we succeeded." Right now, I am reflecting back on all the training we did and all the hardships we had. It made me realize how worth it all of it was. I'm also looking back on when we first arrived and England and now, two days before we leave. We have all grown so much from this experience and not only as individuals, but as a team. We swam the English Channel and that is an achievement that will stay with us for the rest of our lives. I am one hundred percent positive that when I'm an eighty-year old woman, sitting in my retirement home, I'll remember this achievement and I'll still smile when I tell myself that we didn't just swim the English Channel freestyle, we swam it ARCH style.

Diana : So Grateful

Today I woke up and went down for breakfast and ate the same I usually do. I then went into town with Parth and Zach to get some more conditioner. I got back and showered which felt good to have conditioner for my hair. After that I got a tattoo which is so awesome. It was also painful. When he started it was not that bad because I was reading some of the things on the wall but once I was done with reading what was on the wall it became more painful. I was so nervous because I didn't know how it would feel at first but it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The end result is amazing and I am so happy with it. I also like that it means something to me and is not just a random tattoo. To me it means that I accomplished something no one ever thought I could and now I did it. And all those people who said we couldn't do it, we did it and I am so happy. Later we went to dinner and blogged. I want to say thank you so much to dad and papa for allowing me to get the tattoo and to Cheryl for taking me and helping me get it. I appreciate everyone who has helped me get to where I am. Great job to the Zombies, I am so proud of us for doing it and for showing everyone we could do it. Have a great night.

Faith: Kayaking

Today, after I had breakfast, me and some others went kayaking. At first, I wasn't looking forward to it, but it turned out to be sooooo fun!! I wasn't remembering that ARCH Academy makes everything fun :). At first, CJ tipped out of the kayak, and that is what inspired all of the others to start dunking each other. Paul and I were a team, while the others teamed up. It was really fun, and I'm glad I went. The rest of the day was laid back, and 'chill,' but we still had a GREAT time. Parth, Noah, and I went out to town for a bit, but we headed back soon after. For a few hours, I was playing cards, Battleship, and other time consuming games to keep us occupied. So, I am really thankful for all of our donors, sponsors, and supporters. Without them, we wouldn't have been able to come to England and swim the Channel. We are leaving in a few days, and I am so thankful for being able to come on this trip because I have been able to make myself into a better person, and I have been able to reflect, and become more mindful of everyone and myself. GO ARCH!

Maddy: Sweaty

Today was hot. Hotter than hot. So hot, that I was sweating. It was hotter than Channing Tatum in the middle of the desert. Anyway, today consisted of me, Betzi, and Lauren all hanging out in a hot, sweaty room in Dover. So many people were on the beach today, enjoying the water. We had fish and chips for lunch. Later, we went to dinner in a place THAT DIDN'T HAVE AIR CONDITIONING. I get frustrated in the heat. It was, however, a beautiful day in Dover, England. Throughout this whole trip, there is a certain pride that radiated all through the group. I am proud of the school, the students, and am looking forward to the future successes of this school. It's all good in the hood, and I can't wait to get home!

Kaylee: THANK YOU!!

Like Maddy already said, it was very hot today lol. I was wearing shorts and a tank top and still sweating indoors. Could be because there is not much air conditioning over here. Anyways, today was still such an awesome and memorable day for me. First I ate some breakfast, then Cheryl, Diana, and I got tattoos. They say "English Channel 2015" and has the wreath above it. I am really glad that I can have such an accomplishment not only in my head but on my body where I can be reminded. It took a little less then an hour and surprisingly did not hurt at all. The place was called No Pain No Gain. Although I feel like I gained something..lol. There was only one guy working there and his music choice was pretty on point if I say so myself. It was loud and screamy so I was able to jam while waiting. The tattoo is on the back of my leg and is healing now. I really love it and I am so glad I got it. Thank you so much to my parents and Cheryl!! After walking back to the hotel we went to dinner. Tomorrow is my birthday! Woo Hoo!! (:-0

Parth: Kayaking with my Friends

The beginning of my day today was especially fun in the way that the days where there is no plan are.  After breakfast, we went over to the ocean to kayak to our heart’s content.  I had a lot of fun splashing and getting splashed by the boys of the Arch Academy, and Faith, as the other girls were elsewhere.  We toppled each other’s kayaks, splashed each other, and generally had a good time roughhousing with each other.  After kayaking for an hour, the group split, half of us going to the café to get lunch, and half of us remaining in the water.  I went to the café, and had a delicious cheese and tomato sandwich.  Wesley and I have been working on our social skills, and I help him with his skills while he helps me with mine.  Later in the day, we had dinner, and it was delicious.  I am really thankful to all of the people who have helped me get where I am today, from my maternal and paternal families, to my family at Arch.  Goodbye for now, and see you soon to my family. 

Noah: Kayaking and a secret for Kaylee’s birthday

Today we went kayaking near the beach. I know how to row the kayak because I’ve seen how people can row their kayaks. I also paddle board at the beach. Kayaking and paddle boarding are so fun. After we went kayaking and paddle boarding, we played playing cards and battleship. I also went to town with Faith and Parth for Kaylee’s birthday. I bought a stuffed cat for Kaylee, Parth got the birthday cards, and Faith got a present bag. We also went to Eight Bells restaurant for dinner. I also talked to Kaylee about the movie Jurassic World we watched yesterday and I also talked to her about how the dinosaur escaped from the cage. Our trip is almost over, I’ll see you soon and tomorrow will be our last day of our trip.

Wesley: Row your boat

Today I woke up and I went to the gym. Then I went and ate breakfast. Then me, Faith, and the other dudes went both kayaking and stand up paddle boarding. I chose stand up paddle boarding because it's like surfing. Right when I saw the fins on the paddle board it made me know that I will be surfing again in no time. It was so fun to be SUPping, in England, and on the channel. I could not believe I was doing it in England. I could see the British flag, the white cliffs, and part of the town of Dover while I was paddling. I was so happy paddling I had to take a deep breath, and let some negative thoughts go. I was even so happy I had to sing row your boat. After that I went and ate some lunch, I had a burger and chips. Then I played some games with Faith, and the other guys. Then we went out to dinner, and I had a great meal, of fried prawns, for an appetizer. For my meal I had really good ribs, and chips. For dessert I had a mars bar, and the Pistachio ice cream that I used to eat, when I lived in London. The kind at Baskin Robbins is not as good. On this trip, I just consider Dover, this hotel, and all my Arch friends my home, and my family. I feel like I have been living with Paul in a hotel room, and in Dover for years and years. I am very very sad that tomorow is the last day. When I get back I want to finally try surfing, or bodyboarding, at Windansea beach. I will enjoy my last day tommorow. I am all ready excited for next year's trip, and I know it will be just as fun.

Paul:Poultice

Today Matt, CJ, Faith, Parth, Noah, Zach, Wesley and I went to the shore to use paddle boards, single manned kayaks and two-manned kayaks. I took a two-manned kayak with Zach, and we all set off for the far end of the harbor. We ended up tipping each other’s kayaks and boards, having splash battles and switching up vessels. Although we rented them out for 2 hours, a few of us went in after 1 hour. I would have stayed in longer if I had brought my jammers and other swim gear. Too bad, since it was very fun. For the rest of the day, we played cards and I worked on the Zombie A Relay video. Too bad I won’t be able to see my English friend here, since tomorrow would have been open if he weren’t busy again.

CJ: Fun and sun-------burns.

Today after waking from a 5-hour sleep, I went to breakfast for half a waffle that still refuses to come out of the machine. Then after, Matt invited us to go kayaking in the Dover harbor. It was a BLAST. After forgetting to put on sunscreen I took off in my single kayak with ease, and then watched as my less experienced peers figured out how to get in theirs. Then, I forget how, but a war started between Faith, Parth, and Me, versus Zach and Paul. Then Faith turned on me, then I flipped her and Parth. Then Matt, Zach and I went out to this yellow buoy, and I claimed it for Zombie. After drying off, most of the guys went to Matt's room and we played Texas Hold’em. Then we went to dinner where the AC was broken and I realized I had a massive sun burn. And now I am here, listening to Matt and Zach play battleship.

Zach Irvine: Row Row Your Boat Gently Down the Stream…

Today I will say that our first fun activity was that we got to go kayaking and paddle boarding in the water. In the beginning, I would call it battle ship or battle kayak. Everyone that went got in a kayak or paddle board and started capsizing each other. I found this really fun, until my kayak got capsized L but still it was fun J. Later in the day we played Texas holdem. Parth, in the beginning, was winning and I think he did win? Oh wait yes he did and the fun part was seeing how mad CJ got every time he lost against Parth. Then we all went to dinner at which the AC in the building broke so everyone in the back including the locals had the menus in their hands and fanning themselves. Afterwards we came to blog which I am doing right now. End of Blog.

Matt: Activities in Dover


So today we woke up and we got the idea to go over to the sea sport rental place in front of the hotel. It was one of the most exciting experiences we had during this trip. Everyone involved was able to get out in the water and do a physical workout besides swimming. It is always nice to enjoy the water and still be able to breathe the whole time. I am going to make the video today and it is going to be about all the watersports we did today so you will see it in more detail. A couple of students were able to do stuff they have never done before like stand up paddleboard and I was excited to be able to share the experience with them. All the guys had a lot of fun playing games in my room. We had a pretty good dinner today. Thank you for sending me. 

Betzi: Sweat

I woke this morning to Diana adjusting the electric fan in our hotel room, voicing her annoyance about the sweltering heat that had dropped down over Dover while we slept. No kidding. I kind of wish I had taken her complaints more seriously while determining what clothes to wear, as the weather ensured that my black cotton Misfits t-shirt spent much of the day plastered to my back like wet clingwrap. This trip has been drastically less nomadic than global trips typically are with Arch, but I don't mind at all. The White Cliffs Hotel always has a rotating assortment of Brits and Channel swimmers in its lobby, the entire Dover Harbor out front serves as a constantly-shifting swimming pool (with sail boats and cargo boats and fishing boats), and, Kaylee has probably mentioned before, the muesli at the breakfast buffet here is great. We smuggled about five bowls of it in my thermos for swimming. Some people went back to town in the afternoon to walk around and explore the sun-cooked hodgepodge of parks and shops, while others of us went ocean kayaking. Great video material, especially Noah on the paddle board. Speaking of videos- Matt finished the Zombie B segment of our English Channel film, and I highly encourage all of you to check it out! Link below.
https://youtu.be/TocVdG_MBSU

6 comments:

  1. Noah - it sounds like you're having a great time and London was an amazing experience. You'll remember this trip and your amazing accomplishment for the rest of your life. Be positive and make someone smile today. We leave for home around noon. See you back in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Maddy, you're hot and sweaty? Wait till you get to CHICAGO! HAHA!!
    I loved the video. Thanks, Matt! The end was THE best. I couldn't stop smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day! I know you will enjoy your last day in England and we are so excited you will be home soon. Happy Birthday Kaylee! Miss you Lauren and will see you on Friday! Love you. -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betzi and Paul...SOOO proud of you! Surprises Await!! Have a great last day in Jolly 'Ole England! See you Soon. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. CJ...Sounds like you are having fun and we are so proud of you. We are having a great time in London. Toured around and saw all the sites, went to the War Museum and the play Wicked. Matthew is doing great-forgot to mention his McDonald's tour of London. We miss you and look forward to seeing you tomorrow and home.
    Love, Mom, Dad, Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often
    Chennai to tirupati car package

    ReplyDelete